Cloudy water &
Algae should not be taken lightly. The published data coming from
a variety of sources shows that the overwhelming causes is a combination of
"poor" maintenance & not showering before entering your
Following the basics of swimming pool water care make all the difference.
1. Keep the sanitizer (no matter what you are using, Chlorine,
Bromine, Nature2, PristineBlue) levels where they should be.
Follow the respective care guides.
2. Maintain good water balance, pH, Total Alkalinity, Calcium
3. Keep the Pool clean. Regularly vacuum & keep the water liner
clean. That's why everyone
complaining of a rash notes that it is mainly on their arms & upper torso.
4. Regularly chemically clean the filter to remove
accumulating grease, oil & dirt.
5. Make sure the filter is operating 8 to 12 hours daily.
6. Test the water regularly. Normally we recommend 2 to 3
times weekly for chlorine or bromine. At least weekly for Nature2,
Frog or PristineBlue.
7. Shower before entering the pool. Showering removes excess
body oils, make up, deodorant that accumulate at the waterline & set up a
nice area for bacteria to grow.
8. Our customers have had great success using products such as
PoolBoss Soft Touch in preventing algae & providing an additional buffer for
the pH & Total Alkalinity.
9. Shock the every week or 2 weeks (depending on use) to oxidize unfilterables
such as body oils, make up, etc. that can render the sanitizer useless.
10. If the pool doesn't get a lot of use, be sure to regularly brush &
vacuum every week after it has been shocked. This will help
prevent build-ups of biofilms & algae on the pool walls, floor & waterline.
A little bit of work (no more than 30 minutes weekly) is all it takes
& goes a long way to preventing skin rashes, cloudy water & algae.