Skin rashes should not be taken lightly. The published data coming from
a variety of sources shows that the overwhelming cause is a combination of
"poor" maintenance & not showering before entering the spa or hot tub
(especially true with the condition know as
Hot Tub Lung).
Following the basics of spa & hot tub water care make all the difference.
1. Keep the sanitizer (no matter what you are using, Chlorine,
Bromine, Nature2, Spa Frog, PristineBlue) levels where they should be.
Follow the respective care guides.
2. Maintain good water balance, pH, Total Alkalinity, Calcium
3. Keep the spa clean. Regularly drain & clean the tub.
Especially true of the waterline & top edge of the spa. That's why everyone
complaining of a rash notes that it is mainly on their arms & upper torso.
4. Regularly chemically clean the filter cartridge to remove
accumulating grease, oil & dirt.
5. Make sure the filter is operating 4 - 6 hours daily.
6. Test the water regularly. Normally we recommend 2 to 3
times weekly for chlorine or bromine. At least weekly for Nature2, Spa
Frog or PristineBlue.
7. Shower before entering the spa. Showering removes excess
body oils, make up, deodorant that accumulate at the waterline & set up a
nice area for bacteria to grow.
8. Our customers have had great success using products such as
Spa System Flush or
SpaBoss Whirlpool Rinse
to clean out the plumbing lines when the spa is being drained &
9. Shock the spa or hot tub regularly to oxidize unfilterables
such as body oils, make up, etc. that can render the sanitizer useless.
10. If the tub doesn't get a lot of use, be sure to let it breathe
for about an hour every week after it has been shocked. But the air
blower on & just let all of that oxidized stuff just gas-off, otherwise it
will get trapped back in the water.
which is an enzyme that "eats up" unfilterables that contribute
to odors & dirty filters, as well as the scum line. Use it weekly for
A little bit of work (no more than 15 to 30 minutes weekly) is all it takes
& goes a long way to preventing skin rashes, odor problems & other hot water